Porcelain veneers, when done correctly, can be quite natural-looking and beautiful. They are a type of dental restoration that can quickly correct chipped, worn, discolored, fractured, or rotated teeth. You and your dentist must consider several factors when determining if veneers are right for you.
Your dentist must evaluate your bite first before considering veneers because the health of your back teeth often determines that of your front teeth. Dental veneers are also popular because your dentist can customize them to fit your facial style and symmetry. What’s more, the designs can range from aggressive to feminine, and they can also be more natural or softened.
When you decide on porcelain dental veneers, you should first select a design that fits your personality. However, more importantly, you need to ask your dentist pertinent questions such as:
- What is involved in the process?
- What is the cost of the procedure, and are there insurance options?
- Can I see the before and after photos?
- Do you have a smile catalog?
- Can you show me a smile simulation before we begin?
These questions can help you make an informed decision.
What are Porcelain Veneers?
A porcelain dental veneer is an ultra-thin shell made of tooth-colored porcelain that a dentist bonds over the front surface of your tooth. It corrects a dental issue, such as worn tooth enamel, discoloration, chips, cracks, or uneven spacing and tooth alignment.
Veneers fall into the cosmetic dentistry category because they primarily help make over patient smiles with beautifully aligned and shaped teeth. They can also boast protective qualities and eliminate the need for other extensive treatments.
Regardless of the causes of your perceived unattractive teeth, veneers may solve many of your cosmetic dental issues, including:
- Worn Enamel: Dental veneers are one of the perfect solutions for correcting teeth and smiles affected by worn enamel as a result of the use of certain medications, smoking, a genetic predisposition, or the consumption of soft drinks, coffee, and tea.
- Wear and Tear: As you age, your teeth naturally start to wear down, and are more likely to have cracks, chips, or an uneven appearance. Veneers can help restore the natural appearance of youthful, healthy teeth.
- Genetics: Your genes can cause abnormal spacing between your teeth at birth, which widens with age.
- Discoloration: Sometimes, it’s not possible to entirely correct stubborn teeth discoloration through teeth whitening procedures. In such a case, veneers offer a cosmetic solution.
- Uneven Teeth: Wear and tear and habits like teeth grinding or clenching can cause uneven teeth and lead to cosmetic smile and bite issues (malocclusion).
What the Process Involves
The veneer procedure is often a multi-step process that requires at least two visits to your dentist.
In the first visit, your dentist must determine whether you are a suitable candidate for porcelain veneers by doing a preliminary consultation. Here, they will evaluate your oral health and discuss all available treatment or corrective options.
Once you settle on dental veneers, the next step is a thorough review of your treatment and corrective details, including how to prepare your teeth for the procedure and what the dentist will require to make your teeth look, feel, and fit correctly. It’s at this stage that you will share your personal preference, including the type of veneers you want (in this case, porcelain) as well as the shape, color, size, and the change in the appearance of your smile. The dentist will then make an impression of your teeth to use in making your custom, high-quality veneers.
Your natural teeth are then slightly modified to create space for the veneers. The modification work is essential to prevent your veneers from looking thick and bulky.
Once the veneers are ready (it usually takes two weeks for the laboratory to fabricate them), the dentist will permanently bond them in place.
A final visit may be necessary to check the condition of your new dental veneers.
The Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
Veneers can complete and enhance your smile. On top of this physical element, they can give you a new lease on life, so you’ll no longer feel self-conscious about your teeth or worry about how others perceive you when you talk or smile. Veneers can give you an instant confidence boost and allow you a chance to have more success in both your professional and personal life.
Below are some other benefits:
- Porcelain is a suitable option that provides you with a natural result, which blends in with your other teeth. It is preferred by many Raleigh, NC, cosmetic dentists because it does not stain easily.
- Dentists can make veneers to match the shape, color, and size of your teeth to give you a flawless, symmetrical, and natural-looking smile.
- It is durable and resistant to chipping and staining.
- Porcelain is non-porous.
- The process requires little-to-no tooth structure removal compared to other procedures such as crowns. For some veneer variants, the dentist does not need to prepare the underlying teeth for the placement.
- The initial investment can last you 10 to 15 years.
Depending on your choice of dentist, the result can be so good that people can’t tell whether you have had some dental work done.
Basic Pricing and Insurance Information
The cost of porcelain veneers varies on a case-by-case basis. Some factors that affect price are complexity, the number of teeth involved, and your desired cosmetic outcome. Typically, the costs of porcelain dental veneers by a highly trained professional range from $1,000 to $2,500 per tooth. Some dental practices offer flexible payment plans to help patients get the best available treatment.
Since this a cosmetic dentistry procedure, insurance typically does not cover it. However, there are some occasions when your dental insurance plan will cover part of the cost.
Getting Started with Porcelain Veneers
The first step toward attaining your picture-perfect smile is to visit a licensed dental practice for a consultation. Your dentist will then assess your teeth to determine whether porcelain veneers are a suitable option for you.
Raleigh Dental Arts is a top-notch practice in Raleigh, NC, that remains dedicated to offering the best dental healthcare and treatment to all its patients. We are proud to offer second-to-none dental services thanks to our advanced technology, commitment to modern dentistry, a comfortable office setting, and a friendly team of professionals. We serve the residents of Raleigh, surrounding cities of the Triangle, and even discerning patients from around the state of NC.
Contact us today to schedule your next appointment or learn more about porcelain dental veneers.